An effective long-term solution to straightening your teeth and correcting your bite is orthodontics. Orthodontics is a subspecialty area in dentistry that focuses on aligning and straightening teeth using wires and brackets, applying gentle pressure to the teeth to move them into a particular position. The discipline has advanced over decades and today treatment is a lot faster and more comfortable than it was in the past. Here is an overview of orthodontics:
- 1. Patients who have problems with their bite and the way their top and bottom teeth line up against each other are good candidates for orthodontic treatment.
- 2. Impressions, photos and x-rays are taken at the start of treatment to determine the course of action.
- 3. Brackets are bonded to individual teeth and wires clip onto them that gently guide the teeth into position over time.
- 4. Good oral hygiene habits are essential during treatment and regular visits are required for check-ups and adjustments.
- Straighter teeth are healthier teeth, as there are no gaps for plaque to build up in over time.
- Having an attractive smile will have a positive effect on your confidence.
- Orthodontics is a long-term investment in your oral health.
- Thanks to fixed permanent retention you can be assured that your teeth won't move after treatment is completed.